Texas personal injury laws allow victims of negligence to seek financial compensation for their damages. Essentially, this means that you if or someone you love was injured as a result of another person or party’s careless, reckless, or wrongful conduct, you have the right to file a personal injury claim. A personal injury claim allows you to recover compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, future losses, pain and suffering, and other damages.
While you are not required to have a personal injury attorney in order to file a claim, it is a smart idea to reach out to an attorney who can represent you throughout this process. When you are already dealing with life-changing injuries, extensive medical treatments, and time off work to heal, the last thing you need to worry about is negotiating with the insurance company for a fair settlement. Instead, let the team at Tijerina Legal Group, P.C. fight for you. Best of all, we do not charge any attorney’s fees unless we win your case.
The Basics of Texas Personal Injury Law
If you were injured in an accident in Texas, there are some things you should know about the state’s personal injury statutes.
Below, we’ve provided a brief overview of some of the key things to know about Texas’s personal injury laws:
- The statute of limitations for most personal injury claims in Texas (or the deadline to file a lawsuit) is two years from the date of injury. There are some exceptions, but in most cases, if you wish to recover compensation, you must file your civil action within two years.
- You are not prohibited from filing a claim if you were partially at fault for the accident. Under the state’s rule of modified comparative negligence, you can still seek financial recovery if you were less than 50% liable for the incident, but your recovery will be reduced.
- You have grounds to file a personal injury claim if you were injured or harmed and suffered damages as a result of another person or party’s negligent or wrongful acts or omissions. The burden of proof in personal injury cases falls on the plaintiff (the injured party).
- You may seek both economic and non-economic damages, meaning you can seek compensation for financial and intangible losses. Non-economic damages are typically capped in medical malpractice cases in Texas.
This only represents a general outline of Texas’s personal injury statutes. We strongly recommend that you contact our firm as soon as possible after an accident or injury to ensure that your rights are protected.
Damages in Personal Injury Cases
Understandably, most people want to know what types of damages they can recover by filing a personal injury claim, as well as the potential value of their case. First and foremost, note that no reputable law firm or attorney can honestly assess the value of your claim without going over the specific details of your situation. Every case is different, and there are no guarantees when it comes to the outcome of a given claim.
That being said, most personal injury cases resolve when the plaintiff’s attorney is able to negotiate a settlement or obtain a verdict that compensates the plaintiff for several different types of economic and non-economic damages.
These damages might include:
- Emergency medical care
- In-home care
- Ongoing treatment, including rehabilitative care
- Medications and medical equipment/devices
- Future medical expenses
- Lost income/wages
- Lost or reduced earning ability
- Lost future earnings
- Pain and suffering, including mental/emotional distress
- Counseling services
- Punitive damages
When you meet with our McAllen personal injury attorney for a free consultation, we will go over the specifics of your situation and determine which damages you may be entitled to receive. In every instance, our goal is to maximize our clients’ recoveries and obtain the full, fair compensation they are owed.
Providing the Caring, Personalized Legal Support You Need
Navigating the personal injury process can be difficult, stressful, and time-consuming. But with our firm on your side, you can focus on healing while we focus on your financial recovery. Tijerina Legal Group, P.C. is available to take your call and assist you with your case 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Since 2008, we have been fighting for injured individuals in all types of personal injury cases throughout the McAllen area, and we are ready to fight for you, too.
Attorney Humberto Tijerina has recovered millions of dollars for injured individuals and their loved ones and has been named as one of McAllen’s top personal injury attorneys. He and his team at Tijerina Legal Group, P.C. are here to answer your questions and provide the personal attention you need and deserve. Because we conduct our services on a contingency fee basis, we do not collect any attorney’s fees unless/until we recover compensation for you.
Contact us at (956) 777-7700 to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation with our award-winning legal team.