Brain Injuries from Car Accidents
Request a Consultation with Our McAllen Brain Injury Lawyer
According to Forbes Magazine, if you drive a vehicle regularly, you’re a statistic waiting to happen. Essentially, Forbes is saying the same thing insurance agencies say every year—accidents happen, and most people will eventually get into a car crash.
We all hope that an accident ends with no injuries. Unfortunately, many car collisions end with serious bodily injuries, including traumatic brain injuries (TBIs). During an automobile accident, two objects are traveling at high speeds. The weight of the vehicles, in combination with the high velocity, creates an extreme force. The impact can cause massive whiplash and subsequently, head and brain trauma.
If you or someone you love suffered a brain injury in a car crash, and you believe someone else was at fault, contact the McAllen car accident attorney at Tijerina Legal Group, P.C. Our founding partner, Humberto Tijerina, has successfully recovered millions of dollars on behalf of severely injured individuals throughout Hidalgo County. Our firm understands the complexities involved in these types of cases, and we know what it takes to recover the full financial recovery you deserve.
Common Types of Brain Injuries
Motor vehicle accidents commonly cause several different types of traumatic brain injuries:
- Concussion: A concussion occurs as a result of a sudden blow or forceful impact to the head, which causes the brain to move violently within the skull. Although they are considered the mildest form of TBI, concussions are still very serious. See a doctor if you have suffered any type of head trauma or believe you have suffered a concussion.
- Coup-Contrecoup: A coup-contrecoup brain injury is actually two injuries—when a blow to the head causes the brain to hit the inside of the opposing side of the skull, it results in an injury at the point of impact and an injury where the brain slammed against the skull. This is a very serious injury and can result in permanent brain damage.
- Diffuse Axonal Injury: Diffuse axonal injuries (DAIs) occur when the brain moves or twists violently on the brain stem, leading to microscopic tears forming in the connections within the brain. Depending on the size and location of these tears, DAIs can have catastrophic or even fatal effects.
- Contusion: A brain contusion is essentially a bruise that forms on the brain. Typically, brain contusions occur alongside other TBIs, such as concussions or coup-contrecoup injuries. While they often heal on their own, some brain contusions can worsen and may need to be surgically removed.
- Penetrating Injuries: A penetrating brain injury is a type of open-head injury that involves a foreign object penetrating the skull and/or brain. These are often accompanied by skull fractures and other severe injuries, which can result in massive, irreversible damage. Penetrating brain injuries are, tragically, often fatal.
Nearly all brain injuries result in lasting or permanent damage. Victims will typically experience a range of complications and may be unable to work, drive, or care for themselves or their families. The cost of treating a brain injury is typically exorbitant, exceeding hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars and putting families under extreme financial hardship.
File a Lawsuit for Brain Damage after a Car Accident
If you or a loved one suffered a brain injury in a motor vehicle collision and someone else was at fault for the accident, you could be entitled to financial compensation. Texas personal injury laws allow you to file a claim against the at-fault driver’s insurance company to receive a settlement. In some cases, the insurance company will refuse to honor your claim or offer a fair settlement. When this happens, our firm is ready to take your case to trial in order to fight for the maximum compensation you are owed.
At Tijerina Legal Group, P.C., we frequently work with accident reconstructionists, medical professionals, economists, and other experts to determine exactly how an accident occurred, how it has affected our client, and who is liable. We evaluate your medical bills and identify your future projected costs associated with your brain injury in order to build a comprehensive picture of your damages. From there, our McAllen car accident attorney can aggressively advocate for every penny you deserve.
Contact Us for a Free Consultation
If you or a loved one has suffered head trauma after a car crash, please call our law firm today. We can work to file a lawsuit for brain damage after a car accident. Mr. Tijerina is a decorated personal injury lawyer who has secured millions of dollars for his client and has been recognized as one of the leading personal injury attorneys in the McAllen area.
Let Mr. Tijerina and his team fight for your rights. There are no fees unless we win your case; hablamos español.