What Should You Do Following an Accident with a Commercial Truck?
- If you are severely injured, call 911 and request an ambulance. You need to take care of your health and get transported to the nearest healthcare facility. If your injuries allow you to stay at the scene, call the police and wait for them to arrive so they can create a report of the accident.
- If they ask you questions, answer politely and to the point. Avoid speculation as to the cause of the accident. You do not want to end up incriminating yourself. Let the authorities do their job. Request a copy of the police report to give to your accident attorney and the insurance company.
- If your car is in the middle of the road, take pictures of the car and its damage before moving it to the side of the road. Always act cautiously to avoid making the situation even worse.
- Exchange information with the truck driver. Get their license and insurance information and take note of the details of the truck such as its make and model, trucking company, and license plate.
- Get a full medical checkup as soon as possible. Even if you believe you sustained only minor injuries, you need to have a doctor examine you thoroughly. You may be surprised to find that you have injured organs or internal bleeding.